New Vision’s 2018 large print calendars are now available! Click here to learn more.
- 490,120 Floridians are visually impaired or blind (Source: Florida Association of Agencies Serving the Blind, 2013)
- Florida is 2nd in the U.S. for visual impairment, macular degeneration, glaucoma, & cataracts; 3rd in the U.S. for diabetic retinopathy (Source: Prevent Blindness, 2012)
In Lake and Sumter Counties:
- More than 13,000 Lake & Sumter residents are visually impaired or blind (Source: Florida Association of Agencies Serving the Blind, 2013)
Effect of Vision Loss:
- Americans believe that severe vision loss would negatively impact their lives more than HIV/AIDS, cancer, stroke, heart attack/disease, diabetes, and deafness (Source: American Foundation for the Blind, 2007)
Effect of Vision Rehabilitation:
- Maintaining robust instrumental activities of daily living reduces mortality risk in those with uncorrectable vision loss. (Source: JAMA Network Journals, 2014)
Annually, New Vision holds the Axy Awards to celebrate the most blind-friendly businesses in Lake, Sumter, and The Villages. Congrats to our 2017 winners!
Grocery Store: Publix
Fitness Center: Planet Fitness
Book Resource: Lake County Public Libraries
Utility Provider: SECO Energy
Bank: Insight Credit Union
Movie Theatre: AMC at Lake Square Mall
Cell Phone Service: Sprint
Hospital: Florida Hospital Waterman
Food Delivery: Papa John’s
Thank you to everyone who nominated, voted, and participated in this year’s awards. Above all else, thank you to these businesses and our other finalists for your commitment to ensuring your visually impaired customer enjoy their experiences at your businesses!